Features of growing and planting cucumbers A real man
Hybrid cucumbers A real man F1 is popular among summer residents because of the many positive characteristics. You will learn more about them from the article.
Characterization and description of the variety
Hybrid The real man was made by Russian breeders working for the Zedek company. He was included in the State Register of the Russian Federation in 2010. It is ranked as a table variety of salad purposes. For canning, these cucumbers are suitable only in chopped form. The hybrid adapts well to external conditions: low light, high humidity, temperature changes.The variety got such an interesting name because of its characteristics: shrubs are shade-tolerant, resistant to most pests and diseases, the fruits look strong and are covered with sharp spikes. It has a strong immunity to major diseases and parasites, in particular to mosaic, spotting, powdery mildew. Affected by peronosporosis. The described plant is pollinated by insects. Cucumber A real man can be grown in open beds and in protected ground in unheated conditions. The recommended cultivation method is using trellis or mesh.
Did you know? The longest cucumbers in the world - 1.5-1.8 m each - are formed in the Chinese species. In Asian countries, they are cultivated on the roofs of houses.
Features of the bush and fruits
Bushes in cucumbers of the described hybrid grow tall. They have many large dark green leaves. Flowering mainly in the female type. From 1 to 3 nodes are formed on one node. Fruits are elongated, with many large tubercles.The average mass of one cucumber reaches 300–400 g, length - 25–40 cm. The peel of the fruit is dark green in color with short white stripes, pubescent, with white prickly spikes. The pulp is characterized by strength, juiciness, sweet taste. There are no voids in it. Seeds are very few.
Productivity is good. About 1 kg of fruit is harvested on average from 1 m².
Did you know? Scientists believe that cucumber began to be cultivated 6 thousand years ago in the territory of modern India. Wild cucumbers are found today at the foot of the Himalayas.
Timing of flowering and ripening
Flowering occurs about a month after the first shoots have emerged. The hybrid is characterized by early ripening. - From the appearance of sprouts to harvest takes 48–54 days. The fruiting is long - lasts about three months.
Plus and minus qualities
- Gardeners who already had experience in growing cucumbers A real man, he noted such positive characteristics:
- tasty fruits with excellent commercial qualities;
- good productivity;
- the ability of the fruit to bear transport without loss of presentation.
- Among the shortcomings are noted:
- poor tolerance of high temperatures and droughts;
- short storing of fruits.
Cucumbers planted in two ways. At the first - first seedlings are grown in room conditions, and then they are moved to an open garden bed. After such a planting, cucumbers bear fruit earlier. In the seedless method, seeds are directly sown in open ground. Let us dwell on the details of the latter method applicable in regions with a warm climate.For sowing cucumbers, it is necessary to highlight a site that is well lit and warmed up by the sun, protected from drafts. The recommended location of the beds for proper lighting and fruiting is from north to south. When growing cucumbers, it is important to adhere to crop rotation rules.
According to them, this culture should be planted in the beds, where they previously grew:
Important! Do not rush with sowing cucumbers.If a thermophilic plant is exposed to cold temperatures or even frost, it will stop growing and may die.
The risk of developing diseases and pest attacks, as well as reducing yield increases if the plant is planted after:
A ditch 30–35 cm deep is made in its center, in which leaves, peat, sawdust, straw, grass are laid in a layer 15 cm high. Fresh manure is placed in the next layer. In spring, a layer of soil fertilized with minerals is placed on it. Then the bed is covered with a film on the arcs in order to warm it up.
If autumn preparation was not carried out, then in the spring, 2-3 weeks before planting, rotted manure, mullein, chicken droppings or compost with wood ash and nitrophosus are brought to the site. For warming, the bed is also covered with a film.
Since the real man is a hybrid, his seeds can be purchased only in a specialized store. Collected with your own hands or bought with hands for planting are unsuitable, since they do not preserve the qualities of the mother plant.Acquired seeds do not need either dressing or soaking, the manufacturer has already taken care of thisSowing should be carried out from the last decade of May to the first decade of June (depending on the region and climatic conditions). The earth at a depth of 12 cm at this time should already warm up to + 15 ° C, and the air during the day - to +18 ... + 26 ° C. The procedure is planned on a calm sunny day. Before the procedure, the prepared furrow is watered abundantly.
Planting seeds in open ground:
- Sowing is carried out in previously prepared and fertilized soil. Do this after eliminating the threat of frost.
- 4-6 seeds are placed in each furrow at a distance of 7-10 cm. They are sprinkled with earth on top. Between the furrows leave 50-70 cm.
- Before emergence, the earth is moistened, but not poured.
- Shoots appear after seven to 14 days.
- Then they are thinned out, leaving 3-4 of the strongest sprouts in the furrow.
Video: planting cucumber seeds in open ground
We grow seedlings:
- We fill the pots with disinfected (potassium permanganate or in the oven) soil, peat ones are good.
- Sow in each 1-3 seeds to a depth of 1-1.5 cm.
- Before seedlings, we moisten the soil well. We maintain a temperature of + 21 ° C. The germination of a real man is approximately 70%.
- Subject to these conditions, sprouts will appear in 1-2 weeks. Shoots need full lighting.
- Do not abuse fertilizers. When the plants grow to the first two leaves, they are dived and left one at a time in a pot.
- Before transplanting seedlings in open ground, it is taken out to the street for hardening. Until acclimatization is complete, she should avoid direct sunlight, cold, and wind.
Airing of plantings begins with the appearance of seedlings. The film is opened daily, giving an influx of fresh air. They remove it completely when the first flowers form. Further care consists of regular watering, top dressing, loosening, weeding, garters and preventive spraying.
Important! Cucumbers are irrigated with water at a temperature of at least + 18 ° C. Humidification with cold water leads to improper plant development and increases the risk of fungal diseases.
Watering and fertilizing
Cucumbers are moisture-loving plants. In case of moisture deficiency, they become brittle, and the fruits are less juicy and small. But at the same time, the plant also does not tolerate overmoistening, which leads to clarification of foliage, a stop in the growth of lashes and a decrease in productivity.When watering, it is important not only to establish the optimal frequency and volumes, but also to achieve regularity. If the plants will grow in conditions of differences in moisture, the fruits may be bitter.Before flowering, it is recommended to carry out one hydration in 5–7 days, spending 3–6 liters of water per 1 m². During fruiting, watering is speeded up to one in 2-3 days. The volume of fluid is increased to 6-12 liters. Moisturizing produce a watering can in the evening or early morning. When carrying out the procedure, it is necessary to ensure that moisture does not get on the ground organs of the plant.
To increase the yield and proper development of cucumbers, they are fed with fertilizers. The best way for this culture is the alternation of organics (mullein) and mineral mixtures (ammonium nitrate, potassium salt, superphosphate). For the season, it is recommended to make 3 root dressings:
- at the time of appearance of 2-3 sheets;
- after 14-18 days;
- before closing the lashes.
If necessary, they also resort to foliar top dressing. One commonly used formulation is a mixture of superphosphate (12 g), potassium chloride (7 g), urea (5 g), water (10 L)
Garter and bush formation
Cucumbers A real man is grown by the vertical method, that is, they are tied to a trellis or net. Such cultivation has several advantages. Firstly, cucumbers are evenly lit by the sun. Secondly, they are less sick, because the fruits and leaves do not have contact with the soil. Thirdly, plants are easier to care for and harvest.
To stimulate the growth of lateral shoots, cucumbers can be planted. This procedure is optional. It reduces the load, increases productivity and accelerates fruit ripening. The first stepsoning is carried out after the formation of 5-7 leaves.
Side shoots are removed from the plants, leaving 2-3 stems with ovaries by pinching over the second leaf. Also tear off the ovaries and shoots in the sinuses of the first four leaves. The second time, stepsons are removed after the formation of 9 leaves on the plant, the third after 11.
Soil care includes regular cultivation and weeding. Loosen the soil gently and shallowly, without penetrating deeper than 4 cm, so as not to harm the root system. Loosening helps prevent the formation of a hard crust, which delays the penetration of moisture and oxygen to the roots.Weeding is carried out in order to remove weeds, which are carriers of diseases and pests, and also obscure the lashes from sunlight and take away nutrients from the soil from the plant. It is important to monitor the cleanliness of the site, since clogging adversely affects the quantity and quality of the crop.
Pest and Disease Control
As already noted, the hybrid A real man has a strong immunity to many diseases, but weakly resists peronosporosis or downy mildew. The main symptom of infection is oily spots on the leaves. To prevent this disease in the garden, it is necessary to decontaminate the soil before planting with potassium permanganate (1%), copper sulfate (3%). For treatment, the drugs Acrobat MC (50 g / 10 L of water), Alirin B (2 tablets / 10 L), Oksikhom (15 g / 5 L), Quadrice (0.2%, 0) are effective. ,1%).
Of the pests for cucumbers, the danger is:
- Sprout fly. The larvae of this insect cause enormous damage to seeds and young plants. To get rid of it, Zenkor, Hurricane Forte, and Iskra insecticides are to be treated 3 times.
- Spider mite. This insect attacks cucumbers when it is hot and dry outside. Its presence is indicated by a web on lashes and foliage. Small holes are present on the top sheet plate. Soon the leaves will dry out. Against ticks apply "Fundazol", "Fitoverm", "Bitoxibacillin", "Actofit", "Fufanon", colloidal sulfur.
- Aphid. Symptoms of infection: curl of leaves, falling flowers and foliage. With a small number of insects, they are treated with soapy water, sprinkling the beds with wood ash, an ash-tobacco mixture.With severe infection resort to the use of drugs "Inta-Vir", "Decis."
- Thrips. These small insects settle on the leaves and drink plant juice. As a result, they can see small punctures. With a minor lesion, treatment with folk remedies, for example, infusion from onion husks, helps. In case of a massive defeat, spraying with “chemistry” is necessary: “Fufanon”, “Fitoverm”, “Iskra M”, “Commander Maxi”.
- Nematode. Small worms, called nematodes, live underground and infect the root system, leading to growths on the roots, improper plant development, and a decrease in the quality and volume of the crop. Cucumbers look depressed, their leaves twisted. With a severe defeat, the plant will need to be disposed of. With timely detection of infection, when the roots are not damaged much, the treatment with "Mercaptophos", "Phosphamide", "BI-58" will help.
Harvesting and storage
During the period of mass fruiting, one should examine the beds and harvest mature fruits 2 times a day (morning and evening). If you plan to use them fresh, it is important to prevent over-ripening when the cucumbers turn yellow, coarsen and lose their crisp qualities.
Important! When picking cucumbers A real man should protect his hands with gloves so as not to get injured on the spikes.
Zelentsy must be removed from the lashes by twisting or cutting with pruning shears. The peduncle should remain on the lashes. Cucumbers should not be pulled or pulled to avoid damage to plants. Also, do not disturb the sheets and lashes. With lashes, not only ripened fruits should be removed, but also those that are damaged or deformed. This is necessary so that they do not weaken the plants. Thus, the establishment of new greenbacks will be stimulated.Once harvested, the fruit should immediately be refrigerated. In cold and humid conditions, at a temperature of + 6 ... + 8 ° C and a humidity of 85–95%, they can be stored for 1-2 weeks. They should be put in the bag without closing, and placed in the tray for vegetables in the refrigerator. It is also possible storage in the cellar, in wooden boxes or trays. At room temperature, after two days, cucumbers lose their taste and a large number of valuable elements. To save them for the winter, they need to be salted, canned or frozen.
Did you know? In our latitudes, it is customary to use cucumber as a vegetable, in salads or as a whole. However, there are countries in which it is eaten as a dessert. For example, the inhabitants of Morocco expose it to a sweet table, along with fruits, berries and sweets.
Summing up, we note that the cucumber hybrid A real man can be considered for planting in a summer cottage, since it has a number of advantages, such as tasty fruits, good fertility, and resistance to most diseases. When conducting competent agricultural technology, the plant will appreciate an early and high-quality crop.