Potato variety Crimean rose: a botanical description, agricultural techniques of cultivation and care
Among the abundant variety of potato varieties you can find Crimean rose - a variety that is recommended to be grown in drought conditions. This potato is little known, but has many positive qualities. Let's study it in more detail.
Variety selection history
Little is known from the history of the Crimean rose variety. This potato was the result of breeding work not of scientific staff, but amateur vegetable growers, so their research is not documented. As a result of selection work, they obtained a cultivar for cultivation in regions where the dry hot climate is practically without rains.
Did you know? In 1995, potatoes were grown in space.
The authors did not conduct official trials of the variety and did not make it to the State Register of Selection Achievements, but this did not prevent Crimean vegetable growers from growing it everywhere and getting a good harvest. Crimean rose can be grown in other areas with similar climatic conditions.
Characteristic and Description
Consider the main characteristics of the variety in more detail.
Appearance of tops and description of tubers
The size of the potato bush is small, has green leaves that correspond to it in size, wavy along the edges, with veins. The type of foliage is intermediate. The flowers are in the shape of large corollas of white color, flowering is transient. The berry after falling of flowers almost never sets. The oval-shaped tubers can weigh 75–120 g, have small tubercles, skin without roughness, and are colored pink.Crimean rose favorably differs from other varieties by its delicate taste, preservation of the qualities of planting material and the ability to grow in arid weather conditions.The pulp is white or cream with streaks of pink color. 1 bush accounts for up to 15 tubers, since part of the crop does not have a salable appearance due to its too small size. Each of them contains starch up to 17% with a calorie content of about 77 kcal per 100 g. Potatoes of this variety are very tasty, it does not lose shape during cooking, and is also good in fried, stewed, baked form. The taste lacks both dryness and wateriness, it is gentle and balanced.
From 1 ha you can collect from 140 to 200 centners of root crops. However, in the absence of hot weather, the amount of harvest is reduced, and the taste deteriorates. Thanks to the warm Crimean climate, some farmers harvest twice a year.
Important! Crimean rose is suitable for cultivation in personal plots and for personal consumption; commercial cultivation of this variety is not carried out.
Ripening and harvesting dates
The potato fully ripens in the period from 60 to 80 days after planting, then it is already possible to harvest. Starting from day 40, you can already feast on young root crops.
Resistance to disease
The variety is resistant to potato cancer, common scab, blackleg, late blight, bacteria and viruses.The variety is not quite suitable for sale - it is mainly grown on farms for personal consumption.
Pros and possible disadvantages
- Positive aspects of the variety:
- excellent taste;
- attractive color;
- resistance to lack of moisture;
- the ability to grow in arid regions;
- resistance to many diseases;
- early ripening;
- high-yielding variety;
- there is an opportunity to get a crop twice a year;
- can be transported without loss of commercial quality;
- able to be stored for a long time;
- seed material does not degenerate;
- during storage does not lose its properties.
- The negative sides of the variety:
- mixed fruits, which affects the quality of the crop;
- not suitable for cultivation in regions with other climatic conditions;
- the presence of tubercles that worsen presentation;
- high dependence on weather conditions during cultivation.
Agriculture Potato Growing
The potato harvest depends on whether you follow the rules of planting. The following is a more detailed process.
Important! Re-planting after harvest may be accompanied by deterioration in crop quality.
Optimal landing times
Due to the warm climate in Crimea, potatoes can be planted already in mid-March. A prerequisite is a well-warmed soil. If you plan to harvest twice, then re-planting is carried out after the first harvest.
Crop rotation rules
When planting potatoes, follow these rules:
- Once every 3-4 years, change the place of planting potatoes, otherwise the impoverished soil will not allow you to get a good crop.
- Potatoes can be alternated on the plot with cabbage, legumes, fatselia, perennial herbs, oil radish.
- In the predecessors on the site for planting potatoes there should not be garden strawberries.
Sandy soil is suitable for the Crimean rose, which is dug up and enriched with the help of humus and wood ash. Of mineral fertilizers, nitrophoska (30 g), potassium sulfate (20 g), ammonium nitrate (20 g) are used, which are combined with 7 kg of humus per 1 m². Another option is superphosphate (40 g), dolomite flour (450 g), ammonium nitrate (20 g), potassium sulfate (20 g), which are combined with 10 kg of humus.The soil should warm up very well, but not be overdried
Preparing planting material
How to prepare planting material:
- Sort carefully, discarding small, unhealthy and damaged tubers.
- It is best to choose medium-sized tubers for planting, pick them from the fall during harvest and store them separately.
- Etch in a solution of potassium permanganate or 5% solution of copper sulfate to protect against infections.
- Soak in water with a growth stimulant.
- Wrap in sawdust and leave for 3-4 weeks in a warm place so that they take root, periodically spraying with water.
Video: preparing potatoes before planting
How to plant a Crimean rose:
- In the selected area, remove all plant debris, dig the soil, fertilize.
- Dig long holes from 1 to the other edge of the plot with a depth of about 15 cm, observing the distance between the rows of 50 cm.
- Lower the tubers with the sawdust, observing a distance of 35 cm between them. If the planting material is large, the distance needs to be increased.
- Sprinkle with earth, flatten.
Video: planting potatoes
Potato care after planting
How to care for potatoes Crimean rose:
- Spud - after the formation of bushes. Further hilling in the conditions of a hot Crimean climate can destroy the plant.
- Remove weeds and loosen - the first time 5 days after planting, then as necessary.
- To water. The variety is drought tolerant, does not require frequent watering, otherwise the crop may die. Root crops need 3 waterings: when it grows, when buds form, when it fades. The need for further watering is determined by the condition of the tops - if it fades, water the soil. In order for the earth to get wet to the required depth, use 50 liters of water per 1 m². Need to water in the morning.
- Fertilize. Although the variety ripens quickly, and many do without fertilizer, if you notice that the bushes are weakened, feed them. When the tops of the leaves begin to grow, add 10 g of nitrophoska or 2 handfuls of humus to 1 bush. When the buds are formed, add a mixture of ash and earth (each of 2 handfuls) to 1 bush or dilute 30 g of potassium sulfate in 10 l of water per 10 m row. When the flowering ends, you can add to 1 bush 0.5 l of a solution of 2 tablespoons of superphosphate and 1 cup of mullein in 10 l of water.
- Treat against pests and diseases.
For the prevention of diseases, it is necessary to periodically change the place of planting of potatoes, and pickle the seeds.
Did you know? Europeans did not want and were afraid to eat potatoes immediately after its appearance. Frenchman Antoine-Auguste Parmentier put up enhanced protection on potato fields, which he took off at night — people's curiosity led to the fact that potatoes entered their diet.
Harmful insects dangerous to the variety:
Harvesting and storage
You can start trying the Crimean rose crop after 40 days, however, tubers acquire full maturity in a period of 60 to 80 days. Storage of the crop is not accompanied by a deterioration in the presentation of root crops. Potatoes can be stored for several months in boxes or bags in a cool place at a temperature of +4 ... + 6 ° C and a relative humidity of 80–90%. Before that, it is recommended to dry it in the open air, protecting it by a canopy from light, so as not to turn green. Potato shelf life 94–98%.
So, the Crimean rose potato variety has a great taste, and you can see for yourself if you grow it at home. It does not require much care, but you must live in a region with a hot arid climate. In this case, you do not have to fight diseases, although you still need to spend some time protecting yourself from the pests.