Features of cultivation and characterization of Condor peach
Gardeners met Condor peaches about 20 years ago, so they already managed to appreciate it for its taste and size of the fruit, its unpretentiousness to growing conditions and climate. The article will discuss the features of this variety and how to successfully grow a tree in order to get a stable and high yield of healthy fruits.
Description of peach varieties Condor
Peach is a fruit tree from the pink family, which belongs to the genus plum, cherry, apricot. The initial country of origin is China, in Europe appeared through Iran. The country of origin of Condor is USA.
Did you know? In China, peach is a symbol of protection, good luck and happiness.
The Condor tree is sprawling and tall, with a non-pyramidal crown. Self-pollinating grade. Productivity is high, has a high resistance to curly.
The Condor fruits are oval in shape, very large, weighing 180–200 g. The color of the dense, slightly pubescent skin is golden-orange, with a red blush on the sides. The fruit tastes juicy and sweet. The pulp is dense, orange with red veins. The stone is pointed, hard, well separated from the pulp.
Distinctive characteristics of the Condor variety are fruit size, tree height, resistance to diseases and cold, early ripening.
Disease and pest resistance
Peach Condor is unpretentious, differs from other varieties by its high resistance to diseases and pest attacks. It does not give in to curl of leaves, it is resistant to fungal infections.
Drought and winter hardiness
Condor is highly resistant to dry summers; the plant does not need to be watered often and monitor soil moisture. Also, the variety tolerates the winter season well, there is no need to make additional efforts in order to preserve the tree during the winter, as it is resistant to low temperatures.
The timing of flowering and ripening
Peach blossoms in early summer. Condor blooms with pink small 5-petal flowers.
Important! It is recommended to whiten the buds in the fall in order to increase the chance of a tree blooming in spring.
Condor matures in mid-summer (mid-late July). The fruits are very juicy and tasty.
For the first three years, the tree will not bear fruit, since during this period adaptation and preparation for the harvest take place. Productivity of a tree differs at different periods of age. After adaptation, the yield will be high (50–100 kg per tree). Such an indicator will remain for about 10–20 years. After this period, the fruit will be less (50–80 kg). When a tree ages, fruiting becomes sparse.
Due to the solid structure of the skin, the fruit has high transportability. But still it is necessary to carefully transport the fruits, especially if they are ripe. Peaches must be transported in parchment paper wrapped in polyethylene in a cool means of transportation.
Peach is a very delicate and tasty fruit, therefore, in addition to its use as an independent dish, you can cook from it:
- stuffing for cupcakes, puffs, pies, cakes;
- jam, jam, confiture;
- juice, compote, punch and other drinks.
Advantages and disadvantages of the variety
- The advantages of this variety include:
- large fruit;
- the bone separates well;
- high quality fruits;
- good fruit transportability;
- high productivity;
- high resistance to diseases;
- resistance to frost.
- The disadvantages of the variety are that:
- a sprawling crown needs frequent pruning;
- overripe fruits taste changes.
Agrotechnics of cultivation and care
To grow Condor peach, you need to choose the right place, follow the rules of agricultural technology and care.
Did you know? Peach is considered a natural sedative, for which in Hungary it is called the "fruit of peace."
The most favorable period for planting Condor peach is autumn (3-4 weeks before the onset of frost), since at this time the seedling does not grow, but only the roots grow. Planting very early is also not recommended, since the shoots must have time to ripen in order to survive the winter.
Video: How to plant a peach correctly
Site selection and pit preparation
Peach is a plant that loves warmth, so it needs to be planted in a place where the sun often shines, but protected from drafts.
Important! If the peach tree does not have enough sunlight, the crop will be meager and tasteless.
A great place to plant is the area near the fence (it will cover the tree from unwanted drafts). You can not plant a peach next to some plants, such as walnuts, apricots, cherries and cherries. These trees are tall, and the side of the peach, which will be in their shadow, will gradually become bare, as a result of this weaken the immunity of the plant.
The frequency of watering a peach tree is affected by the climate in which it grows. On average, a plant needs to be watered 4–5 times per season.
A peach planted in autumn needs to be fertilized after 1.5 years, and when planted in spring, in the second year. There are a large number of fertilizers that are necessary for different purposes:
- phosphoric - accelerate flowering and fruit formation, resulting in improved crop quality. Such fertilizers must be applied every 3 years;
- potash - improve the immunity of the tree, contribute to better tolerance of frost and fungal viruses. Fertilizers are applied to the soil when dug up;
- nitrogen - accelerate the growth and development of the crown. It is added in dry form when digged in the spring or brought in with water for irrigation in the summer.
Pest and Disease Control
Any plants have diseases and attack of pests, which must be fought on time and prevent their appearance.
Common peach tree problems:
- Aphid attack. The insect lives below the leaves. The negative impact is expressed in the fact that the leaves dry out and die. It is necessary to fight the pest with insecticides (means for removing parasites) - “Dursban”, “Confidor”, “Denis”.
- Weevil beetles. They are found in the cortex and on the surface of the trunk, feed on the kidneys and lay eggs, which soon turn into larvae. It is necessary to treat the tree trunk with slaked lime solution to get rid of pests.
- Ticks. Arachnid insects that form yellow dots on the foliage, the leaves turn yellow and fall off. A solution of colloidal sulfur (80 g per 10 l) will help get rid of ticks.
Video: Peach Mites
- Striped moth. Caterpillars adversely affect shoots. In a short time, the moth destroys 6-7 shoots, as a result of this the tree weakens, the amount of yield decreases. Insecticides are also used for control.
- Leaf curl. Common disease. The distributor is a fungus that penetrates the kidneys. As a result, gum oozes, and bubbles are observed on fresh foliage. Fallen leaves must be burned, and the tree treated with 3% solution of copper sulfate.
- Moniliosis. A fungal disease, the infection of which begins in the spring, during flowering. Infected areas dry up and take the form of burnt leaves. It is necessary to treat with fungicides ("Gamair", "Planriz").
- Kleasterosporiosis. Fungal disease, manifested in the form of red spots on the leaves. The disease spreads rapidly, ulcers and warts appear. It is also necessary to use fungicides. Infected leaves should be removed.
For winter, the plant must be carefully prepared. There are methods that will help the peach tree successfully winter:
- Digging near roots. It is done in order to get up the parasites. The first frosts will destroy them.
- Fertilizer application. To do this, dig a hole 25 cm wide, 30 cm long, then make fertilizer - phosphorus and potassium.
- Watering. A lot of water is not required, it is necessary to moderate watering the soil at the end of October.
- Pruning. It is necessary to trim the crown in mid-September.
- Whitewash trunk and branches that are below.
- Warming. Closer to the root, the tree must be covered with branches of spruce so that the root does not freeze.
Video: Winter peach warming
Harvesting and storage
Harvesting occurs in the first decade of July. In order to keep the crop fresh, you must adhere to the following rules:
- Choose solid, disease-free fruits.
- A suitable storage temperature for Condor peaches is 0 ° C. This will help preserve fruits for a month.
- At room temperature, the fruit can be stored for only 5 days.
- Fruits should be wrapped in paper and placed in wooden crates.
- You can also observe a temperature of +1 ... + 2 ° C heat and humidity 90%.
The Condor variety is good, as it has a number of advantages that are mentioned above. Unpretentious care and a large yield are the most important indicators.