Onion with cough honey: methods of preparation and norms of use
Onion with honey is a safe, effective and tasty medicine taken with a dry cough, which will appeal even to children. About what recipes of this therapeutic agent exist and how to take it, read the review.
Does onion with cough honey help
Onions with honey are recommended to relieve symptoms of the common cold. It soothes an irritated throat, liquefies mucus and eases dry cough for adults and children. It also increases the body's resistance and provides protection against viruses and bacteria during an exacerbation of respiratory infections.
- Useful properties of natural honey:
- It is rich in minerals, enzymes, several B vitamins, prebiotics and antioxidants.
- It has strong antibacterial properties and has served people as food and medicine for millennia.
- Reduces irritation in the throat and on the skin.
Most of the healing properties of honey are created by a small amount of bee pollen and propolis. Bioflavonoids in propolis have powerful antibiotic, antifungal and antibacterial properties.
- Useful onion ingredients:
- contains essential oils, as well as sulfur compounds. This they provide the vegetable with its pungent taste and smell, and are also therapeutic components. Esters easily spread in the body, penetrating the bacteria, minimizing their effect on the body. They also stimulate the production of white blood cells, which provide protective functions of the body;
- allicin is another important compound. When the bulb is cut, its cells combine with the air, from which allicin is formed. This is a strong antimicrobial ingredient, due to which the composition is used in the treatment of respiratory infections.
The beneficial properties of the mixture are not just a folk recipe, but a medicine confirmed by scientific research.For example, scientists at the Toronto College of Naturopathic Medicine have proven that over-the-counter cough and cold medicines are potentially harmful and no better able to cope with symptoms than homemade syrups based on honey and onions.
Ways to cook folk recipes
An excellent property of this therapeutic agent is the ability to quickly and inexpensively prepare it. The availability of basic ingredients is sufficient. Moreover, you can create your own recipes by adding other components to improve the properties.
Did you know? Honey is the most non-perishable product. In ancient Egyptian tombs, his samples were discovered about the age of about 3000 years. Scientists believe that he is still fit.
Onions with milk and honey
Another popular recipe is milk with onions. The main advantage of onion and milk drink is its bactericidal and antiseptic properties. The drink warms the mucous membrane of the bronchi and trachea, suppresses pathological coughing attacks, and prevents damage to the mucous membrane.
Preparation of a drink:
- A large onion needs to be cleaned and chopped with a blender or grated on a fine grater.
- Squeeze onion juice.
- In a glass of warm milk, add a couple of drops of onion extract.
- Peel and cut two medium-sized onions into 4 pieces.
- Pour in milk.
- Cook over low heat until tender.
- Remove from fire.
- Wrap with a towel and insist until cool.
- Add honey for taste.
- Take 1 teaspoon every hour.
Did you know? To the site of the insect bite, you can attach a composition of finely chopped onions with aspirin and a small amount of water. This will relieve skin irritation and reduce swelling.
Be sure to consider contraindications to this remedy: hypersensitivity to beekeeping products, lactose intolerance, diabetes mellitus, renal failure, obesity.
Cough syrup can be prepared on the basis of honey, onions and garlic.
- Mix half a glass of honey and half a glass of water.
- Add one chopped onion and chopped clove of garlic to the mixture.
- In syrup, you can add medicinal herbs in a small amount: sage or thyme.
- The composition should be infused at room temperature for several hours.
- Strain and apply for cough. Keep refrigerated.
All components of therapeutic syrup are natural antimicrobial agents. They also work as sedatives, weakening the cough reflex and soothing the sore throat. If the medicine is urgently needed, the mixture can be boiled for 5 minutes until the onions are soft. Yes, at the same time you will lose some antimicrobial properties, but you can take the medicine before bedtime and ease the condition.
Onion infusion with honey
Onion infusion with honey is the basic recipe for this remedy. Its ingredients: 1 large head of red onion, thinly sliced, and 1-2 tablespoons of honey.
- Put the onion in a jar.
- Add honey and mix well.
- Cover and let stand for 30-60 minutes at room temperature.
- Move pieces of vegetable to the side or squeeze with a spoon.
- Received juice to take 1 teaspoon every couple of hours for a preschooler and 1 tbsp. spoon for adults and older children.
Important! Never give natural honey to children under 1 year old. It contains plant pollen, and it can provoke an allergy.
How to take onions with honey
Whenever cold symptoms appear, preschool children are advised to take 1 teaspoon, adults - 1 tbsp. spoon every hour until the symptoms disappear. Adding other ingredients is not prohibited. Freshly cut garlic, lemon or grated ginger enrich the composition with additional healing properties.
Honey does not have special indications for dosage or method of use. But some people should be careful about taking it.
- children under 5 years old;
- people allergic to pollen and bee products.
For lactating and pregnant women, the product is considered safe. But if in doubt, you should consult your doctor. Honey is not prohibited for diabetics. It is sweet, but its sweetness is represented by fructose and sucrose. The first of them is involved in the normalization of blood sugar levels. Onions as a component of the medicine are also not approved for consumption by all.
- Cautions and contraindications for onions:
- clotting disorder: onions can slow down blood clotting and increase the risk of bleeding;
- people with allergies to wormwood and celery are more likely to be allergic to onions too;
- with diabetes, it is necessary to control the level of sugar in the blood, since onions reduce it;
- taking it will increase the symptoms of indigestion.
How long is this medicine stored
You need to use the prepared product within 24 hours. All this time it can be stored tightly packed in a glass container in the refrigerator. Onion with honey is an effective natural antibiotic that has no side effects.
Did you know? In ancient Egypt, the bow was worshiped due to its spherical shape. He was considered a symbol of eternity.
It perfectly treats cough caused by bacteria or viruses. Such a syrup can also be used as a means for the prevention of respiratory pathologies during an exacerbation of respiratory infections.