Features of planting and further care of Zeng Zengan strawberries
Breeders are constantly working on the development of new types of strawberries in order to obtain high-yielding and unpretentious to climate conditions varieties, one of the most prominent representatives of which is Zenga Zengana strawberry. Powerful plants give an abundant crop of sweet berries, and even a beginner gardener can afford the cultivation of this crop. The characteristics and description of the Zeng Zengan variety, the subtleties of its planting and the features of caring for the bushes, as well as ways to overcome possible difficulties, are listed further in the article.
Did you know? Strawberry pulp contains substances that are part of aspirin tablets, so it can reduce headache.
Botanical description and characterization of the variety
Strawberries of this variety were bred in 1954 by breeders from Luckenwald (Germany). Previously, it was often grown on an industrial scale, because berries have excellent marketability, and bushes do not require painstaking care. But in recent years, owners of large land plots prefer to plant repairing varieties from which you can get several berry crops in 1 year. Therefore, gardeners of Zeng Zengan today grow gardeners mainly in small personal plots.
The Zenga Zengana variety is distinguished by its compact size of bushes and does not take up much space on the garden bed, which makes it easier to care for this crop and harvest.
The main characteristics of plants are listed below:
- The bush is tall and strong, but does not grow wide. Its powerful stems are densely covered with leaves.
- Plants form a relatively small number of whiskers.
- Strawberry leaves are painted dark green. They are medium in size, have a smooth surface and even edges.
- In mid-May, short peduncles appear compactly at the level of leaves on the bushes.
- Zeng Zengan strawberry flowers are unisexual, medium in size and painted white.
Zenga Zengana variety has gained great popularity among gardeners due to the excellent characteristics of ripe berries - they have an attractive appearance and delight in good taste.
The description of the fruits of this variety is presented below:
- Strawberries have the shape of a cone, which expands towards the stalk. Sometimes on the bush, heart-shaped fruits are formed.
- The mass of the first berries is 30–40 g, and later fruits weighing 10–15 g are removed from the bush.
- Ripe strawberries are covered with dense shiny skin, which is painted in a bright cherry color and contains small yellow seeds.
- Juicy pulp of the berry has a sweet and sour taste and a dense structure without voids. It exudes a pleasant aroma and is colored pink or red.
- Due to the elastic surface of the fruit, they tolerate transportation well and do not lose their taste during freezing. Strawberries of this variety retain their shape well during the heat treatment.
During flowering, only female flowers are formed on the Zeng Zengan strawberry bushes, therefore, it is necessary to plant pollinating varieties next to plants that bloom simultaneously with this variety. Pollen transfer is carried out using insects.
Did you know? Bright red strawberries contain a lot more vitamins than paler colored fruits.
Such varieties can be pollinators for Zeng Zengan strawberries.:
A distinctive feature of this variety is its high yield.It is explained by the fact that powerful bushes do not seek to form a large number of shoots and leaves, but spend most of their energy on the formation of ovaries and ripening of berries.
The main characteristics of the yield and fruiting of the Zenga Zengana variety are listed below:
- subject to the rules of care from each bush, you can get about 1.5 kg of berries;
- the first portion of ripe strawberries can be collected already in mid-June;
- the fruiting period lasts about a month and ends in the first half of July;
- in one place, the Zeng Zengan strawberry can bear fruit for about 6-7 years.
Strawberries of this variety can be grown in regions with moderately cold winters. Plants tolerate a decrease in temperature well to -24 ° C, but at the same time need additional shelter. When grown in areas with warm and snowy winters, Zeng Zengan strawberries can calmly overwinter under a thick layer of mulch.
It is impossible to prevent freezing of the soil to a depth of more than 4 cm - while the roots of Zeng Zengan strawberries completely die.
Pros and cons of the variety
When choosing a strawberry variety for growing, each gardener analyzes its main advantages and disadvantages.
- Zenga Zengana compares favorably with other varieties of strawberries with a large number of positive qualities:
- high productivity;
- excellent taste and appearance of the fruit;
- universality of the use of berries;
- good storage and transportability;
- unpretentiousness of plants to climate conditions;
- good winter hardiness;
- compact bush sizes
- The main disadvantages of the variety include:
- the tendency of berries to chop during fruiting;
- long crop ripening;
- the need for additional watering of beds during a drought;
- self-fertility of bushes;
- weak immunity to diseases and pests.
Preparation for landing
Zenga Zengana strawberries can be propagated by dividing the bush or using a mustache, and to start growing this crop, the gardener needs to purchase high-quality seedlings. In order for young seedlings to take root well and enjoy annual fruiting, the planting area must meet certain requirements, and the planting procedure must be carried out at the appropriate time. More details about all the preparatory steps necessary to start growing this crop are described later in the article.
Choosing the best seedlings for planting
The quality of planting material directly depends on how successful the cultivation of Zeng Zengan strawberries will be. When purchasing seedlings, you need to pay attention to their appearance.
Important! It is recommended to buy seedlings of this variety only from trusted sellers or in specialized stores.
Healthy specimens can be identified by such signs:
- the presence on the stem of 5-6 strong leaves;
- lack of mechanical damage to the seedling;
- saturated green color of foliage without yellowness;
- fresh appearance of the plant, the elasticity of its roots and stem;
- diameter of the root neck about 6 cm;
- developed root system without damage and rot.
Choosing the right place on the site
Even healthy and high-quality planting material cannot be safely rooted if it is planted on an unsuitable site. In this case, the Zeng Zengan strawberry is more often attacked by diseases and pests, and the crop yield is markedly reduced.
Important! If the soil on the site is too acidic, then for 3 years before planting strawberries, it is dug up annually with the addition of dolomite flour (300 g per 1 m²).
The place for planting seedlings of this variety is chosen taking into account such requirements:
- Smooth surface - when grown in lowlands, rainwater can stagnate longer in beds, which entails the appearance of diseases;
- good sun exposure - the absence of shade is a prerequisite for the active growth of bushes and the timely ripening of berries;
- location south of trees and buildings - in this case, the area with strawberries will be protected from the cold north wind, and in spring the soil will warm up faster in the sun;
- loose and nutritious soil with low or neutral acidity - it passes water and air well to the roots, and also supplies the bush with the necessary nutrients;
- good predecessors - these include garlic, mustard, legumes, crops and carrots, and it is not recommended to plant strawberries after berry bushes, tomatoes, cucumbers and potatoes;
- groundwater depth not less than 60–80 cm - plant roots react negatively to flooding and begin to rot.
So that the seedlings of strawberries Zeng Zengan quickly root, the soil on the site must be prepared in advance.
To do this, perform the following actions:
- in autumn, remove all plant debris and dig the soil to the depth of a shovel bayonet;
- if pest larvae were found in the ground, then treat the place for planting with ammonia solution (2 kg of product per 10 liters of water);
- 10–14 days before transplanting seedlings, add 6 kg of humus, 40 g of superphosphate and 20 g of potassium salt per unit of area;
- before planting, loosen the soil surface again, eliminating large clods of earth.
It is recommended to plant Zeng Zengan strawberries in spring or early fall, when the soil temperature is at least + 15 ° С. The frost resistance of the variety allows the sprouts to tolerate small frosts, but in autumn, plants should be planted in open ground no later than 1 month before the first frosts. The soil at the time of planting should be moderately moist, but not too sour.
Step-by-step landing instructions for beginners
The procedure for planting Zeng Zengan strawberries is not difficult, so even a beginner gardener can perform it. To seedlings better adapted on the site, it is recommended to place their roots before planting in a solution of a growth stimulator, as well as remove excess green mass, leaving no more than 3 leaves on the stem.
Important! It is best to plant Zeng Zengan strawberries in the evening so that the delicate leaves of young seedlings are not burnt in the bright sun.
Step-by-step instructions for planting this variety are presented below:
- To prepare holes on the soil surface with a depth of about 15 cm. Most often they are placed in a row with an interval of 20 cm. The distance between adjacent rows is left at least 30 cm.
- At the bottom of the recess, form a small mound of soil. If the ground is very dry, then you can water it with a small amount of water.
- Place the seedling roots in the hole and spread them on the surface of the earthen mound. The outlet of the bush should be above the surface of the soil, and the roots should not break or bend.
- Sprinkle a deepening with loose earth. Strawberry roots should be completely in the ground.
- Water each seedling with 0.5–1 L of water. When the moisture is completely absorbed, cover the ground around the bush with a layer of hay or sawdust about 7 cm thick.
Features of seasonal care
Strawberries of this variety do not require specific care, but after planting, you need to monitor the degree of hydration of the beds and timely make the necessary fertilizers. To increase the resistance of the culture to diseases and pests, you need to properly care for the soil in the beds, as well as to notice the occurrence of problems in time and take the necessary measures to eliminate them at an early stage. With the onset of autumn, winter shelters are created for plantingso that the roots and mustaches of the bushes do not die from frost. About the basic rules for the care of strawberries Zeng Zengan - later in the article.
During active growth and ripening of berries, Zenga Zengan bushes need a lot of water. Plants negatively tolerate prolonged drought and react to it by reducing yield and decreasing fruit size.
Important! To stimulate the growth of the subordinate roots of the Zeng Zengan strawberry, you can spud the plants with a little earth.
When watering strawberries, you must adhere to these rules:
- in the first few days after planting, young seedlings are watered daily;
- the soil in the beds with adult plants is irrigated as it dries, but at least 1 time per week;
- as a result of watering, the soil around the bushes should get wet to a depth of 20-30 cm;
- it is recommended to water strawberries in the early morning or evening - at such a time moisture is best absorbed into the soil and evaporates less in the sun;
- Plants are irrigated with a drip method, avoiding water falling on leaves and fruits - this can cause the appearance of sunburn;
- after each watering, weeds must be removed and the soil loosened around the bushes - this improves the air permeability of the soil and prevents the emergence of diseases;
- for irrigation of strawberries, they use settled water, previously heated in the sun;
- so that the soil on the beds remains loose and moist longer, after each watering it is covered with a layer of mulch.
Bushes of this variety respond well to fertilizers, but an excessive amount of fertilizing can cause active growth of green mass to the detriment of the number and size of berries.
Therefore, when making nutrients, the dosage must be observed and the following recommendations should be followed:
- in early spring, after the first leaves are opened, strawberries are watered with mullein infusion (the product is mixed with water in a ratio of 1: 4 and insisted for several days) - it is mixed with water in a ratio of 1: 4 and 10 l per 1 m² are applied;
- before flowering, the bushes are fed with a mixture of 1 tsp. potassium sulfate, 2 tbsp. nitroammophoski and 10 l of water - 500 ml of nutrient solution are introduced under each plant;
- the last time fertilizers are applied after harvesting - for this a solution of 10 l of water and 100 g of wood ash is prepared, spending the resulting amount of liquid top dressing per 1 m² of plantings;
- in the autumn, a mullein is introduced into the beds, scattering it around strawberry bushes at the rate of 3 kg per 1 m².
In order to prevent crop losses and protect Zeng Zengang strawberries from diseases and pests, it is recommended to implement simple preventive measures.
Did you know? With the help of strawberry juice, you can get rid of freckles and age spots on the skin, so it is often used to make cosmetic masks and creams.
- before planting, it is recommended to place strawberry seedlings in water heated to + 40 ° С for 15–20 minutes - this will prevent the appearance of ticks;
- compliance with crop rotation - will help protect strawberries from most diseases and pests;
- throughout the growing period of plants, you need to monitor the beds - remove diseased specimens in a timely manner and pick off yellowed leaves so that they are not a source of further infection;
- in early spring before flowering, the bushes are sprayed with fungicides (for example, “Horus”) - they protect the culture from fungal diseases;
- to prevent the propagation of pests and eliminate the thickened planting of the aisle regularly cleaned of weeds;
- to strengthen the immunity of the bushes, fertilizers must be applied according to the recommended schedule;
- after harvesting, strawberries are re-treated with fungicides - it is recommended to use a drug that was not used during spring processing (for example, “Topaz”).
This variety has good winter hardiness and can be grown even in areas with cold winters. But in order to protect the roots from the negative effects of low temperature, strawberry bushes need to be covered in autumn.
Important! When using special material for sheltering Zeng Zengan strawberries, you can not lay it directly on the soil - this will only increase the freezing of the earth.
- in the autumn, all dried and damaged leaves are removed - they deplete the plant and prevent it from overwintering normally;
- after weeding and slight loosening of the soil, a small earthen mound is formed around each bush to protect the roots from freezing;
- in order to nourish the roots with moisture and increase their elasticity, in early autumn, you need to water strawberries again;
- the beds are covered at the onset of the first steady frost;
- in areas with relatively warm and snowy winters, it is enough to cover the strawberries with a thick layer of mulch from dry straw or peat;
- if the winter in this region is very frosty, then arcs are placed around the bushes, on which the covering material is pulled - spanbond or agrofibre, as well as spruce branches, are suitable;
- in the spring, shelter must be removed immediately after the mass melting of snow begins - otherwise the strawberries will begin to rot.
Pest and Disease Control
If you follow the recommendations for cultivation and correctly implement preventive measures, then the Zenga Zengana variety is rarely affected by diseases and pests. But under certain conditions, strawberries can undergo their attack, so the gardener needs to know the first signs of the problem well and begin treatment immediately.
Did you know? From a scientific point of view, strawberries are called multi-root, and seeds located on its surface are called nuts.
Most often, when growing plants, such infections and insects can appear:
- Strawberry mite. This insect has a very small size, so immediately notice its appearance on the beds is very difficult. The main signs of infection are brown leaves that curl into tubules and fall off, and the bush stops growing. A large number of insects can be destroyed with the help of acaricides (for example, "Fufanon", "Karbofos").
- Gray rot. The infection spreads well when growing strawberries in shaded areas with high soil moisture. A sign of this disease is gray spots that appear on the surface of the berries. Mold quickly covers the entire fetus and provokes its decay. Affected areas should be removed, and the plant should be sprayed with 1% Bordeaux liquid or special preparations (for example, Alirin B). With a small lesion, you can use a solution of 50 g of dry mustard dissolved in 10 l of water.
- Leaf spotting. At the initial stage of the disease, strawberry leaves are covered with small purple spots, which eventually increase in size and acquire a brown color. They cover the entire surface of the leaf and cause it to die, resulting in the bush dies. The affected bushes need to be dug up and destroyed. Infection of the remaining plantings can be prevented by treating the beds with iodine solution (50 ml of the product per 10 liters of water). With a significant spread of the disease, plantings are sprayed with fungicides (for example, "Gold").
Harvesting and storage
Thanks to the dense peel, the Zenga Zengana berries are well stored fresh. But in order that the harvested crop does not lose its commercial characteristics and good taste, the collection and storage of fruits must be carried out according to the following rules:
- strawberries should be harvested on a dry and clear day - in rainy weather, the berries absorb moisture and quickly become sour;
- it is recommended to pick fruits with the stalks - so they stay solid and juicy longer;
- Strawberries must not be allowed to mature - in this case, it becomes soft and not suitable for storage or transportation;
- picked berries must be sorted out - damaged fruits must be used immediately, and more dense ones are stored;
- Strawberries are placed in a single layer in a plastic box or cardboard box, and then transferred to a dark and cool room with an air temperature of 0 ... + 2 ° C and a humidity of 80–90% - under such conditions, the berries remain fresh for several days.
The German Zenga Zengana strawberry variety is one of the best, combining high productivity and unpretentiousness to climate conditions. Using the recommendations for growing plants listed in this article, you can get a generous crop of sweet berries that can be used fresh or for processing.
We planted one and a half thousand this spring, the variety is very tasty, the children like it, we'll see what happens next year. Who we bought it from - says that they take a variety at wholesale without even trying! And that he is very resistant to rains, almost everything else has rotted, with strong prolonged downpours, and Zenga did well !!))))