The most delicious sauerkraut recipes with garlic
Sauerkraut is a tasty and healthy dish that has been successful for many centuries. Its popularity is largely due to the availability of the original ingredient, its benefits and excellent taste characteristics, and the addition of garlic during sourdough turns a familiar salad into a real culinary masterpiece.
What gives garlic when fermenting cabbage
Garlic has unique taste characteristics that give any dish a bright piquant taste. Its presence in the marinade gives sauerkraut a special aroma and notes of moderate severity, making the dish unique and appetizing in its own way. In addition to the bright taste, one of the advantages of garlic is its benefit to the human body. The composition of this plant contains about 400 components that have a beneficial effect on the human body.
Important! There are a number of diseases in which the intake of garlic needs to be limited. It is not recommended to eat it for people suffering from diseases of the gastrointestinal tract (ulcer, gastritis), anemia, pancreatitis, hemorrhoids, diseases of the bladder, as well as allergic to the product.
Fermented cabbage with garlic has an additional value - during the fermentation process, lactic acid bacteria are formed that improve the functioning of the digestive system, as well as burn excess fat. As a result of the regular intake of such a dish, the body is cleansed of harmful substances, metabolic processes are activated, immunity is strengthened and excess weight is significantly reduced.
Selection and preparation of ingredients
To make the dish tasty and of high quality, choose juicy varieties of cabbage. Juice plays an important role in the fermentation process, and if it is lacking, the final product can turn black and get an unpleasant odor. Heads of cabbage should be medium in size, strong, without green leaves.
Did you know? The first mention of sauerkraut can be found in historical chronicles dating from the time of the construction of the Great Wall of China. It is believed that the Chinese and Koreans were among the first to use the dish for a variety of meals.
In preparation for pickling, you should carefully inspect the heads of cabbage and repair any damage, even the slightest. The good quality of garlic is evidenced by its hardness and dryness - this means that the product is ripe and fresh. To obtain dishes with a finer aroma, it is advisable to choose small heads.
Recipes of starter cabbage with garlic for the winter
There are many recipes for pickling cabbage, including with the addition of garlic. Some of them differ in complexity and duration of the cooking process. But there are quite easy recipes that will allow you to enjoy a tasty and healthy dish without spending a lot of time and effort.
At the same time, additional ingredients can be introduced into the composition, because such a dish as sauerkraut is common in many countries of the world and over the centuries has gained a lot of interpretation. The introductory process is chopping the main vegetable, and then you need to follow the recipes and not be afraid to experiment.
With garlic and carrots
8 1 hour
Energy value per 100 g:
- In finely chopped cabbage add grated carrots and finely chopped garlic cloves. Gently mix the mass (do not crush!) And put in a three-liter jar.
- Prepare the marinade: pour the required amount of water into the pan, add salt, sugar, boil. After boiling, remove the container from the heat, pour in the vinegar and cool.
- With cooled marinade, pour the vegetable mixture and, without covering, leave to insist in the room for 14-16 hours.
- After the agreed time, cover the jar with a plastic lid and send to a dark, cool place (refrigerator, cellar).
- The salad will be fully ready in 3 days. Before serving, you can add chopped onions and 1 teaspoon of sunflower oil.
Video recipeWith garlic and carrotsVideo Recipe: With garlic and carrots
Energy value per 100 g:
- Chop cabbage (chop) with long chips. Grind the garlic with thin plates and mix with slices.
- Pour curry and suneli hops here (the number of spices is determined by taste and may be more than what is written in the proposed recipe).
- Stir the mixture gently, without pressure, until the spices are evenly distributed.
- Pour the resulting mixture into jars.
- Prepare the marinade: pour water into the pan, add salt, sugar, mix and leave on fire until it boils. Add vinegar to the boiled mixture. The marinade should not cool, so after boiling it must immediately be poured into jars.
- The mass should be marinated overnight at room temperature. Then lettuce can be placed in the refrigerator or cellar for storage.
With horseradish and garlic
4 tbsp. l
Energy value per 100 g:
- Finely chop the cabbage, add carrots, horseradish, and finely chopped garlic, grated on a coarse grater. Mix everything, arrange in liter jars.
- Prepare the marinade, diluting salt and sugar in a container with water. Bring the resulting mixture to a boil and leave on low heat for 5 minutes. Cool, add vinegar essence.
- Pour the brine into cans, cover and send to a cool place for three days.
The finished dish has a particularly piquant taste and aroma, and its use in the winter will significantly reduce the risk of colds.
Did you know? Horseradish and garlic are excellent preservatives. The inclusion of these ingredients in the sourdough will allow for a long time to preserve the primary taste of the salad, its freshness and juiciness.
Many housewives, who have their own garden, prefer to harvest sauerkraut in large quantities. Indeed, having a private house, it is not difficult to store the product: it is enough to install the container in a dark cool cellar, making sure that there are no signs of mold.
Much more difficult for urban residents. In an apartment, you can save a dish in its natural form in two ways: place the product in the refrigerator or on the balcony. Sauerkraut can stay in the refrigerator for several months without losing its taste. In this case, the temperature inside the chamber should be in the range 0 ... + 5 ° С.In the cold season, sauerkraut can be stored on the balcony, in a place protected from sunlight. However, the proposed solution is acceptable only until the onset of a frosty winter. In this case, the product must be moved to the refrigerator. In an enameled bowl, it can be left on the balcony, but when defrosting the product must be consumed as quickly as possible, therefore this option is good only for small volumes.
Another way to preserve sauerkraut is to roll it into cans, having carried out the sterilization process. For this, the finished salad is placed in liter jars so that about 3 cm remains to the neck. The jars, covered with lids, are placed in a bucket or pan with water and sterilized for 40 minutes. At the end of the process, banks alternately roll up.
Important! When sending cans with cabbage for sterilization, it is worth considering that the countdown begins from the moment the water boils completely.
Now, aromatic sauerkraut with garlic will easily survive the winter and will be perfectly preserved until the very summer, without losing its taste. Sauerkraut with garlic - a great spicy dish for any feast. It will become a good side dish for meat and fish dishes, cereals, boiled potatoes, and also act as a “delicious” ingredient for making vinaigrettes and cabbage soup.