Features strawberry varieties Asia
Strawberries - everyone’s favorite berry, which grows in almost every summer resident. To get a tasty crop, you need to follow some recommendations and take into account those factors that affect the quality of berries. The specified culture is not easy to grow and requires some care. One of the popular varieties is strawberry Asia, which will be discussed in the article.
The country of origin of the variety in question is Italy. Brought him in 2005.
- Asia is characterized by the following features, which are its advantages:
- Strong root system. With it, strawberries can tolerate low temperatures, withstanding -17 ° C, provided that the bushes are covered with a good layer of snow. If in the strawberry growing region a small amount of snow usually falls, it is necessary to cover the bushes with some protection, for example, needles, leaves, straw, agrofibre.
- The bushes are large, with medium leafiness, few whiskers are formed, but they are very strong and with thick stems.
- The foliage is large, bright green in color.
- The size of the shoots is large.
- Ripening early - the fruits begin to appear in early June, in regions with a warm climate they ripen in May.
- Productivity is high.
- Berries are large.
- Pest resistance.
- You can also highlight the disadvantages of the variety Asia:
- Not all landing methods give good results.
- High requirements for the soil in which strawberries are planted.
- Need a large area for landing.
- Very demanding on the amount of moisture - abundant watering is needed.
Characteristics of berries and productivity
The strongest quality of the described variety is high yield. On average, the mass of the fruit can vary from 25 to 35 g, sometimes you can find really huge berries weighing up to 100 g. The fruits are always large, and the size of the plant does not change with age, unlike other types of strawberries.
The shape of the fruit is not rarely different and unusual: berries are found in the form of a truncated and flattened cone, more round, with two tops. The color of strawberries is bright red. The pulp is also red, but more dull in color, the density is medium.
The berries taste juicy, sweet, tasty. They can be used in different forms: fresh, as jam, jam, compote, as well as freeze them
Fruits are easily separated from the stem. The described variety is suitable for long-term storage at low temperature, as well as for transportation over long distances. Under good conditions, the yield will be approximately 2.8–3.2 kg per m², up to 1–1.3 kg per bush. Plant care is significantly affected by crop care: it is necessary to observe the regime of irrigation, top dressing, in the cold season, cover the soil with a film, throw snow.
Agrotechnics growing and caring for strawberries
Before planting the plant, it is necessary to prepare the ground: dig up, remove the remains of the roots of previous plants, well loosen the soil. It is also recommended to introduce organic fertilizers (sand, ash, peat, humus).
Strawberries need to be properly moistened with irrigation, because a lack of moisture will lead to a small crop, a void will appear in the berries
In the hot season, moisten the plant once every 2-3 days. As a care, it is also necessary to mulch the soil in order to get rid of weeds, as well as reduce moisture evaporation. But watering is not necessary often - the soil is strictly forbidden to flood, because this will lead to the appearance of rot.
Important! It is very important to maintain a certain level of humidity, but not an excess of it. If it is rainy outside, cover the strawberry bushes with foil to in the garden there were no puddles.
Another care routine for Asia is weeding with a chopper. Loosened soil allows oxygen to penetrate the root system better. Also, strawberry bushes need to be spudded: for this they use special equipment (a fork with bent teeth). For the winter, it is best to use straw, sawdust and leaves in order to shelter the bushes from frost.
When the process of buying seedlings occurs, it is necessary to give preference to bushes with three or more leaves. Foliage should be lively, bright green, without extraneous spots and stripes. Successful bushes are considered to be specimens with a large outlet and a central kidney. It is also necessary to pay attention to the root system: the length of the roots should be at least 7 cm, thickness - 7 mm.
Conditions of detention
The main requirement when planting seedlings is that the distance between the bushes is about 40–45 cm. It is necessary to ensure good light penetration to the bushes, which prevents the appearance of various parasites.
For planting seedlings, 2 suitable periods can be distinguished:
- early spring. It is necessary to plant strawberries after the seedlings begin to grow, but before the formation of peduncles. This planting period is suitable for regions with a cold climate;
- summer autumn. In regions with a warmer climate, strawberries need to be planted during this period - by the cold, the root system will already become strong and strong.
The first year of planting for strawberries is a period of strengthening, so the plant in the spring needs to be processed for better rooting. To correctly and successfully choose a place for planting, you must adhere to the following requirements:
- Create a bed in the place where the sun's rays fall in the morning, but at noon they are already replaced by a shadow, and also protected from direct drafts.
- If the choice has stopped on a bed with a bias, then it needs to be selected from the south or southwest side.
It is not advisable to plant garden strawberries of the Asia variety in the same place where the Solanaceae grew, because they have common diseases with it. Bushes are recommended to be planted after legumes, carrots, onions.
Soil and fertilizer
Variety Asia is very whimsical to the soil. Sand is not suitable for planting, and strawberries do not tolerate soil rich in clay and carbonate.
The most suitable is soil with a high humus composition. Before planting, you need to carefully prepare the land, disinfecting it. Hydrogen ions must be present in the soil composition (acidity at a high level).
Did you know? Scientists have developed a new hybrid of strawberries and strawberries — Zemklunika: in the name, the letter “b” is omitted specially so that it is not confused with the usual strawberry variety. Zemklunik is not exposed to various diseases and has a high yield.
There are fertilizers that saturate the soil with useful nutrients:
- Ash or compost. Apply in early spring. It is only necessary to fertilize with any one substance, otherwise the soil will be oversaturated with nitrogen.
- Ammophos or nitroammophos. These substances need to be fertilized at the end of fruiting.
Chalking is also recommended to protect the bushes from infections and parasites.. The procedure must be carried out in a light form so as not to oversaturate the soil with limestone, otherwise it will dry out.
Watering and humidity
Watering strawberries must be provided regularly, 1 time per week. During the growing season, the root system of the plant needs constant watering. Despite the fact that the described type of strawberries is unpretentious in care, however, the size and taste of berries depends on the amount of moisture. It is recommended to water the plant under a bush so that water does not fall on the leaves.
Relation to temperature
Frost resistance of Asia is at an average level, the variety does not tolerate temperature extremes. Withstands up to –15 ° С. It must be covered for the winter. When frostbite leaves turn black and fall off.The location of the bushes should not be in direct sunlight, since leaves, flowers and fruits can also suffer from the hot climate.For the variety in question, temperature differences can be even threatening, even in spring, when frosts return. Therefore, in case of drops, it is very important to cover strawberry bushes
Reproduction and planting
Strawberry seedlings must be planted in early spring - in April, in summer - from early July to mid-August, and in autumn - from late August to mid-September.
Landing can be carried out in two schemes:
- Bush (arrangement of bushes in rows). When using it, you must remove all the formed mustache. The distance between the rows is 60–70 cm.
- Striped (striping). With her, the mustache should be directed along the row. Rosettes are rooted until a strip of mustache is formed. Between the rows leave 70–90 cm.
The gap between the strawberry bushes should be about 30–35 cm, since the leaves take up a lot of space.
The process of planting seedlings begins with the preparatory phase, which includes opening the beds and loosening the soil. Plants are cleaned of dry and diseased leaves, roots are trimmed to 7-8 cm. It is recommended to plant seedlings in cloudy, humid weather.
In order to successfully plant seedlings, you need to follow the following algorithm:
- Prepare a hole for the size of the roots.
- Plant a bush in the hole.
- Place the roots so that they do not bend up.
- Ground the roots.
- Form a hole around the seedling with your palms.
- Water the bush with plenty of water (approximately 3-5 liters per 1 bush).
- Place peat, humus or compost under the bush.
Strawberries can also be propagated in several ways, about which further.
Outlets on the mustache begin to grow immediately after fruiting. Usually, the mustache grows a year after planting. To preserve the variety, it is necessary to select the thickest and widest rosettes. They need to be rooted in a pot without cutting from the antennae, and deepened in the garden, leave until the autumn. In August, you need to dig a pot and plant a seedling in a new place in the open ground.
Reproduction by dividing the bush
If gardeners did not have enough materials for planting due to the lack of a mustache on the bush, seedlings can be obtained by dividing it into horns. This method is most suitable for propagation of the variety Asia.
The method can be carried out by digging a bush and placing it in water: the horns are soaked and easily separated from each other
The difficulty with growing strawberries Asia is that this crop needs a large amount of water. Drop watering can cope with this, which will periodically moisten the soil.
Strawberries are very often infected with various diseases and pests. When this problem occurs, it is necessary to use various means, including "Aktofit", "Fitoverm" and others. More on this below.
Did you know? Eden Sarl in France wanted to register the smell of strawberries as a trademark, but it was refused, explaining that the berry does not have a single smell: experts found 5 strawberry smells.
Pests, diseases and prevention
This variety is quite resistant to various diseases, but it can be adversely affected by the following: chlorosis, anthracnose and powdery mildew. To cope with diseases and parasites, it is necessary to carry out prophylaxis using the following drugs: Zircon, Topaz, Bayleton, Fitosporin.
The following pests attacking strawberries:
- Spider mite. The foliage is struck - it dries and turns brown. Prevention measures - before the beginning of the flowering process and after harvesting, it is necessary to treat the plants with the preparations Decis (1 g per 10 l of water), Aktara (1.4 g per 10 l of water). During the flowering period of bushes, it is recommended to spray “Actofit” (1 ml per 1 liter of water).
- Strawberry mite. Foliage turns yellow and shriveled. It is necessary to spray the plant with tincture of citrus peels (30 g peels per 1 liter of water, let it brew for several hours);
- Strawberry-raspberry weevil. Plant buds are damaged. It is necessary to prevent the appearance of the pest by spraying with soap and ash solutions, and also treat the plants with Nurell-D preparations (10 ml per 10 l of water), Zolon (5 ml per 10 l of water).
- Slug. Damage the berries. It is necessary to cultivate the soil before transplanting seedlings with formaldehyde (10 g per 10 l of water), apply Sludge granules (30 g per 10 m²). If there are a small number of parasites, then it is better to remove them manually.
Features of harvesting and storage of crops
Three days before the start of berry picking, gardeners stop watering the plants. To increase the shelf life of the crop, it must be harvested a few days before full maturity. The best time to harvest strawberries is in the morning, after the dew has dried, or in the evening, after the heat has subsided. Berries should be picked together with the stalk - thanks to this, the crop is better preserved. Harvested fruits are best stored in crates or boxes.
Strawberry Asia - a successful and high-quality variety, which is preferred by many gardeners. The main advantages are unpretentiousness in leaving and excellent productivity.
Network user reviews
The plant is powerful, beautiful. Resistant to spotting. The berry is very large, not small. Tasty and transportable berry.