How to ferment cabbage with layers for the winter?
Sauerkraut for the winter is an excellent preparation that can be used to make vinaigrette, pies, dumplings, eat as an independent dish, seasoned with sunflower oil and sprinkled with onions. But to get the meal, it is important to choose the right ingredients and observe the cooking technology.
Selection and preparation of ingredients
For picking, white late varieties of medium or late ripening are best suited. You need to choose a whole head of cabbage, without damage and cracks. If the top sheets are slightly wilted, they should be removed. Relative to other ingredients that can be used in recipes, they must be fresh, juicy (for example, carrots) and fragrant (honey, spices). Water treatment and shredding is carried out immediately before cooking.
Did you know? Presumably, sauerkraut dishes come from ancient China. In Europe, the snack came in the time of Genghis Khan. Now it is an integral part of German national cuisine, and is also popular in most countries of Eastern Europe.
Sauerkraut recipes in layers for the winter
There are a large number of options for fermenting a delicious and crisp vegetable. This is a fairly easy to prepare, vitamin dish that is present on the table of almost every housewife. Consider the most common options for sauerkraut.
3 liters 96 hours
2-3 pieces (medium size)
1 tsp (no slide)
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- Mix salt with sugar.
- Chop the main vegetable into strips, grate the carrots on a coarse grater. Mix the components and knead them thoroughly until the juice begins to discharge.
- Put in a clean jar in layers: cabbage-carrot mixture - salt with sugar - vegetables - seasonings, until the container is full. In the process, you need to carefully ram the machine so that there is no free space.
- Press the cabbage down with a plastic upside-down lid, which must be previously folded in half and shoved inside the can. It will prevent the cabbage from rising above the brine. On top you can put a bottle or a glass of water, which will crush the chopped vegetable.
- Put the jar in a bowl to collect excess brine and leave for 3-4 days at room temperature. Every day you need to pierce the cabbage with a wooden stick. This will release the formed gases, which will relieve the vegetable from bitterness.
- At the end of the term and the end of the fermentation process, close the jar and put it in a cold place. You can use a refrigerator or a cellar.
Video recipeClassic Recipe for Sauerkraut Recipe: Classic Recipe for Sauerkraut
Did you know? During World War II, anti-fascist sentiments were so strong that they spread to cooking. So, buyers refused to purchase Sauerkraut sauerkraut. To increase sales of the dish, American marketers renamed the crispy and vitamin dishes to “Liberty Cabbage”. Now the name sounded proud, and the popularity of food increased even more.
In liter jars with carrots and apples
1 L72 hours
1 tbsp. (no slide)
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- Using a shredder, cut the cabbage as thinly as possible into strips.
- Pour sugar and salt into a container with cabbage straws, crush the vegetables with your hands until a small amount of juice is released.
- Grate, it is better to use large cells, pre-cleaned and washed carrots. Pour to the main ingredients and mix thoroughly. Mash a mixture of vegetables repeatedly is not necessary.Salty cabbage liquid, which is already in the tank, contributes to the release of carrot juice.
- From washed and peeled apples, it is necessary to remove the core, cut them into slices. Pour the cooked fruit into the carrot-cabbage mixture and mix gently, preserving the integrity of the slices.
- Fill the washed and dried jar with the mixture, ramming and pressing it with a palm clenched into a fist. Put the cabbage leaf on top and cover with the inverted capron lid, allowing the juice to flow freely.
- Put the filled jar in a deep bowl and leave in a warm, dark place for 72 hours. At this time, it is important to pierce the contents of the can to the bottom 3-4 times a day with a long wooden skewer, allowing the gases formed to come to the surface. It is better to remove the foam that accumulates on top. And with an insufficient amount of juice (it should cover the cabbage completely), add to the gathered in a bowl.
- After three days of pickling, close the jar with a lid and put in the refrigerator.
When serving, the salad with apples and carrots is seasoned with sunflower oil. If desired, you can add chopped onions.
Important! If caraway is added to the workpiece, then this must be done together with the introduction of apples into the mixture. But we must not forget that this is a specific, “bright” spice, a large amount of which can spoil the taste of the dish.
In brine with honey
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- Finely chop the cabbage head onto a thin straw.
- Peel, wash, chop carrots on a grater or chopper.
- Stir the vegetables, mashing them slightly to highlight the juice.
- Tamp the cabbage and carrot mixture in a glass jar.
- Cook brine. To do this, bring the water to a boil, add bay leaves, salt, allspice, honey and let it boil for 1-2 minutes.
- Cool the brine completely and pour over the cabbage.
- Cover the jar with the inverted lid, put into the container and leave for 3-4 days for fermentation.
Important! In the process of natural fermentation, it is better not to try the vegetable earlier than after 4 days. If cabbage contained nitrates, then during this period they transform, turning into nitrites - compounds harmful to humans. At the end of the fermentation process, they disappear.
Basic storage rules
It is necessary to store the cooked cabbage in the basement, in a tightly closed container: jar, barrel. In this form, it can persist throughout the winter, without losing vitamins and minerals. If there are no such conditions, you can use a refrigerator.In addition to the above, there are many other equally tasty recipes in which the vegetable is cut not only into strips, but also into larger plates, or divided into 4 parts. Do not be afraid to experiment, making your diet tasty, varied and healthy.