How to make a strawberry bed
Today, there is a huge variety of beds for planting strawberries: high, low, vertical, hanging, etc. In our material you will get acquainted with their main types and rules for planting strawberries.
Many gardeners opt for high beds. Their height is usually 80–90 cm. This type of beds is characterized by good thermal insulation, and also protects against factors such as:
- heavy soil;
- proximity to groundwater (in the regions of Russia their high level is noted);
- depletion of the fertile layer;
- adverse external conditions.
Did you know? Initially, the technology of high beds was tested in Germany and the Netherlands.
|Water from irrigation does not spread, completely leaves for the soil||Material costs|
|Pest protection||Building requires investment|
|No fertilizer needed||In the cold, additional insulation is needed|
|Ease of care|
From barrels, tires
High beds from barrels and tires are easy to manufacture and low cost. The barrel must be prepared in this way:
- Wash it thoroughly from dirt.
- Make holes for drainage at the bottom.
- Install vertically irrigation tubes 3-4 cm in diameter and slightly longer than the length of the barrel with drilled small holes. Muffle the lower ends of the irrigation pipes.
- Cover the bottom of the barrel with a drainage layer.
- First, make holes for landing in the lower tier, then fill the barrel with earth, covering the holes, then cut through the next row of holes, fill the soil again, and so on until the entire barrel is filled.
- Plant seedlings in the resulting holes, as well as on top.
The procedure is as follows:
- On the tires, mark the holes for small fit.
- Using tools to cut holes.
- Cover the bottom of the first tire with a net and cover it with soil.
- Install the next tire on top.
- Repeat all actions as many times as necessary.
- When the tower has reached the required height, you can plant strawberries.
According to Finnish technology
The essence of the method is the use of special materials (mulch), which accelerate the ripening of berries and improve the quality of the crop. The main material in this method is film. It can be of different types, but the best for the crop is dark brown. In addition, you need a drip type of watering. To do this, stretch the hose along the entire length of the landing area and make small holes in it. After that, it is placed underground at a shallow depth.
Important! Caring for strawberries on such beds is almost no different from leaving on ordinary beds, unless you have to irrigate more often, because the earth, warming from all sides, dries faster.
The landing process itself looks like this:
- The film is pulled onto well-fertilized soil, secured on the sides with stones or boards.
- Cut holes where strawberries will be planted (preferably staggered)
- The first watering is carried out manually.
- Cons of the method:
- dark material is very hot in the sun, but using a white film will reduce the rate of maturation;
- in case of slight frosts, condensation may appear on the film, then additional heating will be required;
- during heavy rains, mold may appear on the film.
Such beds have a height of 20–40 cm. Making them easier and easier than tall ones, but this is where their merits end.
|Easy access to plants||The berries touch the soil, causing contamination.|
|Strawberry tendrils are not confused||Low position makes soil cultivation difficult|
|Due to fencing, the number of pests is reduced||Fruits touching the ground can rot|
The name speaks for itself. Bulk beds are mounds of soil, sometimes laterally supported by boards. At the same time, the soil heats up easily and does not need to be loosened and dug up.
Did you know? The largest strawberry was grown in the United States in 1983. Its weight was 231 g. The dignity of the giant berry ended because the fruit itself was very watery and sour.
- First, the earth is mixed with fertilizers.
- Make markings with the help of furrows in the area. If only one row of strawberries is planned, then the width of the tape should be about 20 cm, if two, then up to 50 cm.
- The soil should rise above the furrow level by 20 cm.
- Furrows between beds in width should be up to 80 cm.
According to German technology
The peculiarity of this method is that the rows are separated by fences. The height of such beds is usually up to 40 cm, and the width is up to 80 cm. If you plan to make the beds wide, then plant strawberries in a two-line method. In the row between the bushes, the distance is 40 cm. In the spaces between the beds, aisles are made of bricks, tiles and other solid building materials. This will help facilitate row-to-row movement and crop care.This system provides for the manufacture of boxes. The sides of the boards or any other material are separators of strips with strawberries on the bed, and are installed instead of the furrow
These beds were invented once due to lack of space in the garden. Initially, they were used for growing flowers, but today such beds are also organized for berries.
|Aesthetics||Cost of equipment for arranging beds|
|Does not take up much space||Rapid drying of the soil|
|Lack of weeds and most pests||The need for constant feeding|
|Easy fruit picking||In cold regions, soil quickly freezes|
Important! Such beds should be placed in places protected from the wind, i.e. they are easily loosened.
From the pipe
You can make a bed from a pipe like this:
- Acquire fairly wide pipes so that there is enough room inside for soil.
- Cut the pipes in the middle.
- Make small holes at each end of the half.
- Choose the material on which the bed will hang - rope, cable or wire. Feed the material into the holes and hang. Such devices can be suspended any number.
- Fill them with soil and plant seedlings.
|High aesthetics of appearance||Requires a good layout|
|The care is the same as for ordinary beds||It takes a lot of time to prepare|
PVC horizontal pipe
Quite often in summer cottages you can find strawberry plantings located in PVC pipes.The manufacturing process of such beds is as follows:
- A marking is drawn on the PVC pipe (diameter - 7 cm, pitch - 20 cm).
- Holes are also drilled in the irrigation pipe.
- To bring out, make a hole of the appropriate size in the center or side. Through it, you can water and fertilize plants.
- A layer of drainage is poured into the PVC pipe and closed with a plug.
- The tank is filled to the top with soil.
Video: a horizontal bed of strawberries from a PVC pipe
pros Minuses Space saving Material costs Mobility Due to the small amount of soil inside, it quickly freezes. The fruits are clean, easy to pick
Such a bed is usually fenced with boards or other building materials. Inside it is filled with organic raw materials - manure, hay, grass, compost. These materials produce heat during decomposition, which is why such beds are called warm. The height of the organic layer is up to 40 cm.
Important! Without timely watering, warm organic beds will not be effective.
pros Minuses Thanks to fences, soil and compost do not crumble along the aisle The high cost of structures Good fertilizer This method is not suitable for regions with hot climates. Rodent protection
Similar designs are commercially available, but you can assemble them yourself from boards, slate, barrels and old furniture.
The assembly of such a garden looks like this:
- Assembly begins with the first tier - the largest.
- All subsequent levels will be less. The main thing is that as a result, an open space of 40 cm is obtained.
- Each level should be at least 30 cm high, i.e. the roots of the bushes will go into the soil at about this depth.
pros Minuses Berries do not touch the ground. The cost of efforts for the arrangement Beautiful appearance Time spent Save space on the site The soil dries quickly
The basis for hanging beds can be:
- old furniture;
- construction grid;
Such beds are similar to vertical, but in this case they are not installed, but suspended. In this case, the bush is planted with its roots up. It is important to remember that the weight of such a bed increases as the plants grow, so the container must be well fixed.
pros Minuses No need to dig soil Only a plant with compact roots and a low bush shape is suitable Fruits and leaves do not touch the ground The soil freezes quickly Strawberries warm well High mobility
It is noted that plants fertilized with food debris or organic humus develop faster and give a rich birth. This trick is very popular among summer residents. The beds with such fertilizers came to be called "smart." Their essence is that when the bed is arranged, the soil is poured in layers, alternating with organic matter.
Smart Bed Technology:
- First, a box is built from the boards.
- Before you fill the soil, lay the grid. This will protect the roots from rodent pests.
- Drainage is placed on top of the mesh (crushed stone, brick, stones).
- Lay an irrigation hose, the end is brought out.
- Then the main part follows - soil layers fall into the box. First comes large organic waste (fragments of branches, leaves), then fertilizer in the form of compost, and finally, the soil from the garden.
Video: smart bed technology
In addition to those already familiar, new and interesting variations of beds appear. Many of them stand out not only for their originality, but also for their effectiveness.
In hanging bags
The bed garden is compact It is easy to place on any flat vertical surface:
- To begin with, take a bag of fabric (for long use, it is better to sew the bag additionally).
- A loop is sewn on top of the bag (it will be hung for it).
- They arbitrarily make small holes in the bag, fill it with nutritious soil and plant seedlings.
From plastic bottles
This is the best budget option. Such material is distinguished by its unusual appearance, resistant to weather conditions and does not require costs. One of the possible types of beds from bottles is vertical:
- In the selected bottles, the bottom and top are cut off at the narrowing point.
- A window is cut out in the middle in the middle, where strawberries will be planted.
- The first layer spread drainage. It consists of stones and sand.
- Then they fill the soil to the level of the hole, the bottles cling to the support with the neck down.
- One bottle should rest its neck against the ground inside the bottom bottle.
- Repeat until there are enough bottles.
Video: a row of strawberries from plastic bottles
From the boards
Boards are a universal material that will fit almost all of the above methods. Boards are good in that they are affordable and relatively cheap material. For beds, larch and acacia boards are best suited. They differ in durability and low price.Parts of the boards that will interact with the earth must be treated with drying oil or antiseptic treatment (used oil can be used). The beds from the boards can be of any arbitrary shape.
pros Minuses Decorative, beautiful appearance Minimal woodworking skills needed Strength Need construction tools Environmental friendliness Need a layout
Important! When processing wood, it is unacceptable to use chemical compounds, since harmful substances are absorbed into the soil.
All materials at hand, including slate, can be used. It has both advantages and disadvantages:
pros Minuses Doesn't rot, unlike wood Susceptible to overheating Lightweight, easy to transport The composition includes asbestos cement (theoretically can adversely affect plants) Available for sale
A bed of slate can be made of any shape. This material is easy to handle. You can use different types of slate - a wavy one will look aesthetically pleasing in the form of a garden fence, and a smooth one will be suitable for creating any designs.
The work is worth starting with slicing the plates until they become the desired shape and size:
- In the intended place where the bed will be located, you need to dig a trench. In depth, it should reach about half the height of the structure.
- Slate is put in the finished pits.
- Everything is covered with earth and rammed.
- From the outside of the sheets, for stability, they can be fixed with stones or pegs.
Video: how to make a bed from slate
The pyramid garden has a very attractive and non-standard look. Different materials are suitable for her, but the tree is considered the most suitable and convenient. A method of manufacturing a wooden pyramid:
- It is necessary to make a design drawing.
- For the foundation you need a board 40 mm thick.
- Workpieces fasten with glue, nails.
- The first level is filled with compost.
- The soil is compacted, the next row is installed.
- The procedure is repeated as many times as necessary.
Often in gardening, hollow building blocks are used. Of them, you can lay out a design of any shape, and plant bushes with strawberries inside. In care, such beds are no different from ordinary ones. Unless in such blocks there is little space, so plants with only compact roots are suitable. The advantage of this design is that strawberries will be protected from pests.
This bed is easy to make yourself:
- First you need to make a plan, mark the place where the bed will be.
- Support racks are driven in at the corners, to which the prepared walls are then nailed to the outside with nails.
- Inside, they fill the earth.
Under the agrofibre
- Agrofibre has several advantages:
- saves the plant from drought, frost, rain;
- has high resistance to ultraviolet;
- It has high air and water permeability.
Did you know? Strawberries contain a large amount of vitamin C. At the same time, frozen berries are in no way inferior to fresh fruits in the ascorbic acid content.
Growing strawberries under this material is becoming increasingly popular. Making beds under agrofibre is not difficult:
- In accordance with the marking of the beds, agrofibre is laid.
- Securely fasten the material with wire or stones. Typically, the fiber is laid so that its stripes overlap each other by at least 18–20 cm.
- Make markings on the material, noting the future location of seedlings. The optimal distance between its rows should be 45-50 cm, between the bushes - 25-30 cm.
- For each bush, a cross-shaped hole of 5 × 5 cm is cut on the canvas.
Video: growing strawberries under agrofiber
Such beds are easy to care for, and their biggest plus is that they can be moved anytime, anywhere. Such a bed does not depend on a specific place, it can be moved to a more sunny area or hidden from frost. Mobile beds are of the following types:
- In the box;
- in a pot;
- in a vase;
- old furniture;
- old things (strollers, suitcases);
- on wheels.
Combined beds are able to decorate the garden. Strawberries are unpretentious plants and can grow in the neighborhood with many vegetables, fruit plants and flowers. If the appearance of the garden is important to you, then it is better to choose flowers and place them next to the strawberries. Although it will be more practical to plant greens, for example, parsley, which is a good neighbor for strawberries. Beets, radishes and radishes also grow well next to berries.
Important! Choosing the right neighbors can provide additional benefits. For example, marigolds will protect strawberries from some pests.
Sizes of classic strawberry beds
An important role is played not only by the appearance, but also by the size of the beds. It comes in several forms.
Using the carpet method of planting, you can not adhere to a certain pattern. Due to the fact that the mustache is not removed, strawberries will grow into all the free space. Due to the close growth of strawberry bushes, weeds have almost no chance of growing in the beds.With this method, the soil under the carpet does not dry out, therefore, does not need frequent watering. With this planting, plants can bear fruit for up to 10 years. Carpet strawberries should be carpeted only on a site with well-prepared soil, as well as thoroughly cleared of weeds.
pros Minuses No need for frequent watering, the soil does not dry out It is impossible to pass between the bushes, it is inconvenient to harvest and cultivate the soil Weeding can be twice as rare as conventional beds Susceptibility of the fruits of gray rot Easy care before and after bearing The berries are gradually getting smaller
Two line tape
The essence of the method in planting bushes in two rows is rows. At the same time, they must be planted separately. Unlike the previous method, it will not be possible to plant a large number of bushes, a certain distance must be observed between them. However, the advantage of the method is that in bushes planted in two rows, the berries will be larger than when grown by carpet method.
- the gap between the two beds is up to 70 cm;
- each bed consists of two rows located at a distance of 30-40 cm;
- the bushes are 25 cm apart.
In three lines
Ribbons in two and three lines are almost identical, the only difference is that here you will need three rows for planting, and not two.
Did you know? Strawberry — one of the most popular garden crops on Earth. It is grown in all corners of the globe, except for the North and South poles, as well as Australia.
- each bed, consisting of three rows, is located at a distance of 60–70 cm from the other;
- the gap between the lines is about 25-30 cm;
- the distance between the bushes is 25-30 cm.
In five lines
This method will make denser plantings by placing more bushes. Landing Rules:
- the distance between the beds is 60 cm;
- the distance between the lines is 15 cm;
- bushes in rows are at a distance of 15 cm.
How to choose the best place
The first step to obtaining a tasty and plentiful strawberry crop is to choose a place for the garden. It is important to follow certain rules.
Slopes up to 5 ° will be most comfortable for seedlings.Gardeners advise placing beds on the slopes from the south-west side. In such conditions, the fruits will ripen faster than those that are on a flat territory. In warm regions with little rainfall and hot summer seasons, it is better to arrange a bed on the northwestern slopes.
Did you know? Most strawberries in the world are grown in the United States of America. At the same time, California is a leader in the production of sweet berries.
The beds should be protected from the wind. If there is no opportunity to choose such a site, then protective structures can be made independently from building materials or plants such as sunflower or corn can be planted nearby. Windlessness in the summer will not allow the soil to dry, and in winter the snow can evenly lie on the beds. Pollination will be carried out better - the wind will not interfere with bees.
Soil composition and structure
For strawberries, an underwater level of not higher than 60–100 cm above ground level is desirable, and the subsoil should be permeable. Loam or sandy loam is preferred. A good crop is obtained on fertile and drained soil.It should be noted that some varieties of strawberries cannot tolerate carbonates in the soil (calcium derivatives)
- Soils are contraindicated in strawberries, such as:
- strongly acidic;
- salt marshes;
Soil preparation is best started in the fall. It is carried out as follows:
- First, the place necessary for the bed is completely cleaned (excess vegetation, branches and garbage are removed).
- The earth is loosened and the necessary fertilizers are introduced into it.
- Schedule and place beds.
At the stage of digging the soil, you can mix:
- 6 kg of humus;
- 50 g of nitrogen fertilizers;
- about 80-100 g of superphosphate.
For strawberries, slightly acidic soils are ideal, but also suitable with a neutral and slightly alkaline reaction. For healthy strawberry growth, soil acidity should be 5–6 units. To reduce the acidity of the soil, it must be liming - make substances such as:
- slaked lime;
- ground limestone;
- dolomite flour;
Active development of bushes and strawberry fruits is provided by mineral fertilizers. It is best to use drugs with a high content of elements such as potassium, phosphorus, nitrogen. As organic fertilizers, dung-peat compost or humus are used. You can fertilize the soil as follows: add 10 g of potassium chloride to the dug up soil per each m², with the addition of 30 g of superphosphate.
The mulching process consists of covering the soil in plants with organic materials or agrofibre. This will save the strawberries from the effects of such negative factors as:
- drying out;
Covering material is easy to find in specialized stores. It can be of two types: polyethylene film and non-woven material. The polyethylene film for mulching happens:
The two-color film is most popular right now, since it has the properties of black and white films at the same time. The outer layer of such material is usually light, which allows the seedlings under the coating not to overheat, and the inner, black one, stops the growth of weeds.
The use of organic materials
For mulching, organic materials such as:
- tree bark;
Important! You can not use grass with seeds, otherwise soon wild plants will appear on strawberry plants.
Compost is also widely used to mulch strawberries. To prepare it, you need to collect the organics, bring it to a homogeneous mass, grind it, and let it stand. Compost material can be any organic material. Compost is very fertile and has a good effect on strawberry growth, however, certain rules must be followed:
- Compost dries quickly, so keep it moist.
- It is advisable to regularly supplement it with a couple of centimeters.
- From time to time it needs to be loosened.
Caring for a strawberry garden usually does not cause much trouble, but it still needs to be done correctly. The most important thing is regular watering with a frequency of 1-2 times a week. Periodically it is necessary to carry out weeding and loosening. Sometimes additional mulching may be required. When the crop is harvested, old plants that bear 3-4 years of fruit are harvested, and strawberries affected by fungal diseases or insects are also removed.
Using all of the above tips, you can make original, convenient and effective beds for strawberries. The choice is so great that everyone will be able to choose the type of their own taste and wallet.