Characteristics and rules for growing strawberries Asparagus
Asparagus - a repairing strawberry variety of Italian origin for growing in open ground and in hotbeds. The variety is characterized by prolonged fruiting and resistance to adverse climatic conditions. About the features of agricultural technology of cultivation and care of the variety, read the article.
Botanical description and characterization of the variety
The variety is repair. Bushes Asparagus of medium growth with well-developed large leaves. It is bred in the warm climate of Italy, but tolerates lower temperatures well.
Anatomically, the plant consists of: leaves, stems, root system, antennae. Reproduction occurs with the help of layering whiskers, on which new rosettes are formed. In addition to leaves, flower stalks form on the plant. Subsequently, berries are formed on them.
Description of fruits and bushes
The asparagus bushes are medium in size, quite compact. Leaves are large. The flowers are bisexual, white. Inflorescences are medium-flowered, small. The first berry crop can be obtained already in the year of planting. But it is recommended to remove the first peduncles so that the plant can form a more powerful root system.
Asparagus berries are very large, conical in shape, bright, red-orange in color with an attractive sheen. Their pulp is dense, aromatic, sugary, with a rich taste and aroma.
Advantages and disadvantages
- The variety is characterized by:
- long and plentiful flowering;
- excellent taste of fruits;
- resistance to adverse climate;
- increased drought tolerance;
- universality of use.
More detailed information on the advantages and disadvantages of the variety is not available, as it is not represented on the Russian market.
Pollinators and fruiting periods
Strawberries are pollinated by bees. Flowering begins in May and lasts several waves. Fruits Asparagus until the fall.
The variety is characterized by resistance to fungal diseases., including powdery mildew. It tolerates a temperate climate and easily adapts to open ground.
Agriculture cultivating varieties on the site
You can grow strawberries in open ground, greenhouses, in containers. Caring for her does not require special skills and she feels quite well in any conditions. After planting, the plant can grow for several years and actively bear fruit up to 4 years. Then productivity decreases and sockets are rejuvenated.
Important! Seedlings of repairing varieties are harvested in the fall in order to plant it in early spring.
Landing is carried out in open ground at a site with full sunlight for 6-8 hours a day. A shadow is allowed only if it occurs periodically. Of all soil types, strawberries prefer sandy loam. The required acidity level is 6.5-7 pH. If the soil is not fertile enough, simply apply fertilizers of organic origin when planting. This may be compost, peat moss, rotted manure and other substances.
Do not plant strawberries where tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, peppers grew before it. It is also undesirable to use for planting a site with predecessors in the form of melon, mint, blackberry bushes, stone fruit crops, roses and chrysanthemums that could grow there over the previous 5 years.
Good drainage is required. The shallow root system of strawberries lies in the surface 10 cm of soil. Therefore, she needs good watering. But the moisture should not stagnate, since then the roots will not receive nutrition from the soil.In areas with poor soil drainage, raised beds are used.
A selection of quality seedlings
Despite the fact that the berries contain a lot of seeds, the plant is propagated by layering mustaches, on which new rosettes form. Acquire seedlings from September to July. Spring seedlings are considered not very high quality, since at that time only last year's bushes are available.
Did you know? Forest strawberries have always been much smaller and sweeter than modern cultivated varieties.
Signs of quality plants:
- leaves: powerful, juicy, green; quantity - not less than 3;
- diameter of the root neck - 0.7 mm;
- roots are fibrous, voluminous.
Direct landing technology
The process of planting strawberries consists of the following steps:
- purchases of quality seedlings;
- site selection;
- landing method;
- direct landing.
- When planting in the ridges, holes are made at a distance of 20 cm between plants and 30 cm between the beds. Their depth is 25 cm.
- Pits abundantly watered.
- They process the roots of the seedlings by Fitoferm according to the instructions on the package.
- Plants are planted in the center of the hole.
- Sprinkled with earth.
- Check the growth point of the outlet. It should be above ground level.
Plant Care Rules
The strawberry care process includes:
- creating a favorable microclimate;
- fertilizer application;
- bushes update;
- pest control;
- preparation of bushes for the winter.
Did you know? The heaviest strawberry - 250 g. It was grown by the Japanese Koji Nakao and presented at the exhibition in Fukuoka (Japan) in 2015.
Watering and fertilizer
Water the strawberries as necessary so that the soil is slightly moist. Frequency - 1-2 times a week. Irrigation begins in the spring and ends in the fall. Type of irrigation - root or sprinkling.
Fertilize plants 1 time in 2-3 weeks. Strawberries don't need a lot of nutrients. Usually use balanced fertilizers in which the ratio of the parts of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium is the same. For example, 10-10-10 (%).
Preparation before winter
In winter, old leaves on plants die off, and the roots themselves go into a "sleep" mode. So that they do not suffer from frost, a number of features must be taken into account. The root zone is mulched with sawdust, spruce branches or other materials immediately after the soil freezes. If this is done too early, the roots will be warmed up due to the high humidity level under the mulch. If you are late with the manipulation, then the frozen roots may not begin to fully function with the onset of the thaw. In the spring, the mulch is removed.
If strawberries grow in containers, bring them into an unheated room - a barn, garage or basement.
Important! Do not fertilize plants after rain or watering. Contact with chemicals on berries can provoke their phytotoxicity.
Diseases and pests of the variety
The main problems and diseases of strawberries:
- Frost injuries. Fruit buds may die from this. Prevents the problem of covering the beds with tarps in the cold. Also, ice crystals form at the base of the outlet, which can damage the bush. For prevention, mulching of ridges is carried out.
- Weather injuries - hail or gusts of wind cannot be prevented. They are especially dangerous for flowering bushes.
- Nitrogen deficiency manifests itself in fewer fruits and small leaves. Prevention - the introduction of "Nitroammofoski" in the amount of 1 tbsp. 5 liter spoon water.
- Potassium Deficiency Symptoms there are uneven edges of old leaves, dark leaves withered at high temperatures, and also softened fruits. Potassium bicarbonate is an effective leaf spray used in this situation.You can choose a different source of potassium.
- Lack of boron and other trace elements can occur in soil with a large volume of weeds. Therefore, weeds must be disposed of in time through manual weeding or treatment with herbicides.
- Angular spotting first appears in the form of wet spots, which, spreading, reach the veins. The formed spot form was the name of the disease. The best way to combat it and other fungal diseases is to spray with drugs containing copper. For example, a solution of Bordeaux fluid.
- Powdery mildew manifests itself in the form of white powdery spots on the underside of leaves. After which the sheet is deformed and fades. Avoid watering strawberries from above for disease prevention and use spraying with copper-based products.
The choice of insect control products always depends on what kind of pest you found. Farmers use both chemical and environmental methods to combat them: attracting birds and predatory insects to the garden. So, one ladybug is able to destroy up to 5000 aphids in the course of his life.
The main pests:
- Weevil damages the strawberry buds. To combat it, the drug Namabact or Intra-vir is used at the time of flowering.
- Strawberry leaf beetle affects leaves, leaving deformed edges of the leaf plate. To destroy it, use "Karbofos", "Metaphos".
- Maybug Larvae (Khrushchev) damage the underground part of the plant. They struggle with them by spraying the soil with Aktara, Zolon or Bazudin.
- Against aphids and thrips apply spraying with a solution of insecticidal soap.
- Garden slugs damage both leaves and berries. To combat them, farmers sprinkle broken rows of shells with rows of shells, make ditches with water around the beds, pour phosphorus-potassium fertilizers in the rows, which the slugs cannot tolerate.
Harvesting and storage
The berries of the repairing varieties ripen gradually, forming waves of productivity throughout the summer. To determine that they have matured can be visually. Gather them neatly with your fingers along with the hat and part of the stem.
Did you know? Brushing your teeth is very important. But you can eat strawberries instead, which helps whiten them. Acids in fruits help remove stains on tooth enamel.
Unwashed berries are stored in the refrigerator for 1–5 days until processing. Since strawberries are very juicy, make sure to process them as quickly as possible. Asparagus fruits are universal and perfectly suitable for both fresh and canned consumption.
The variety is unpretentious to growing conditions and does not require special care measures. You can grow it in containers, a greenhouse or in an open area. Applying the acquired knowledge in practice, you are sure to provide yourself with a buried crop.