The effect of strawberries on the body of nursing mothers
Strawberries contain a large number of nutrients, but it is worthwhile to figure out whether it is acceptable in the diet of a nursing mother. In the article you will read about the use of these berries during breastfeeding, possible contraindications for including berries in the diet, as well as how to properly store this product.
Can I eat strawberries while breastfeeding?
During breastfeeding, mother should exclude harmful and potentially allergenic foods from the diet. This is due to the fact that the substances used by a woman will necessarily enter the baby’s body when breastfeeding, which can provoke an allergic reaction or colic in him.Strawberries belong to strong food allergens, because it contains a pigment that stains its fruits in red.
However, the body of each person is individual, and you should not refuse these berries for no particular reason - after all They are rich in useful vitamins and minerals.that benefit both mom and baby.
When introducing this product into the diet, you need to pay attention to the reaction of the child. If he does not have a negative reaction to the berries, you can add them to the diet, but with allergies and rashes on the skin of the baby, you should abandon the fruit before the child reaches 6 months.
Did you know? The largest strawberry was grown in 1983 in the United States. Her weight was 231 grams.
Useful and harmful properties of strawberries
Consider what benefits for the mother and baby bring the fruits of this culture, as well as the possible harm from their use.
- The use by a lactating woman of the fruits of this plant brings the following positive effect on her body:
- helps fight vitamin deficiency;
- improves metabolism;
- normalizes bowel function;
- improves mood and body tone;
- normalizes blood sugar.
- Contraindications for the use of this product are:
- increased secretion of gastric juice;
- hepatic colic;
- Among the beneficial properties of berries for the baby's body, one can distinguish the following:
- contributing to the full development and growth of the body;
- strengthening immunity.
Did you know? The largest strawberry producer is California (USA). Every year they collect 1 billion tons of this product.
- It is not recommended to add strawberries to the mother’s diet for HS if the baby has:
Features of the use of strawberries for periods of breastfeeding
When introducing this product into your diet, a nursing mother should be careful and focus on the age of the child.
In 1 month
During this period, it is not recommended to use this product, since the child’s body is not yet adapted to receive it with mother’s milk.
In 2 month
During this period, a nursing mother is recommended to try introducing strawberries into her diet. In this case, you need to start with one berry in the morning to observe the condition of the baby. In the future, the amount can be increased if the child does not have any negative manifestations.
At 3 month
During this period, the child’s consumption of breast milk increases, so a woman needs to enter foods rich in vitamins, including strawberries.
Important! You can only eat strawberries with «his» beds or one that is guaranteed not to contain nitrates.
At 4 month
In the absence of allergic reactions in a child, strawberries should be in the diet of a nursing mother. It will help strengthen the immunity of the child, which will reduce the likelihood of colds and other diseases during adulthood.
Strawberry Eating Rules
In order for mom to use red berries not harm the baby, you must adhere to certain rules when introducing them into your diet.
Strawberries should be introduced into the diet gradually. Start with 1 berry for breakfast. Then you need to observe the reaction of the child to a new product for him.
In the absence of skin rashes and problems with stools, 3-5 berries can be eaten the next day. If the health of the baby is all right, the norm per day can be increased to 10 berries.
If this product has a bad effect on the child’s body with HB, You can use it in the form of jam. However, in this case, there is a danger in the sugar contained in the jam, which can provoke diathesis. Some women mix strawberry jam with applesauce, this will reduce the concentration of sugar.
Fresh berry compote is also good for a woman’s body. When first introduced into the diet, its amount should not exceed 1/3 cup, and you need to drink it in the first half of the day.
Combination with other products
To determine the baby’s reaction to strawberries, it is recommended first not to combine it with anything to understand how the body responds to it.
In the future, in the absence of negative reactions, it is preferable to combine it with cottage cheese, using it as a dessert.
Possible contraindications and side effects
- Strawberries are not recommended for everyone, because they have some side effects on the body:
- an allergic reaction of the body is the main contraindication of the use of this product by a nursing mother;
- salicylic and oxalic acids in the composition of these berries can exacerbate diseases of the gastrointestinal tract;
- small seeds can cause exacerbation of gastritis and peptic ulcer.
Proper storage features
Fresh fruits can be stored for several days. If you need to save them for a longer period, it is necessary to adhere to the recommendations:
- Going through the berries before putting them in the refrigerator should not be moldy or spoiled.
- Wash berries immediately before use. Washing before placing them in the refrigerator, you will only contribute to the accumulation of excess moisture, which will reduce the shelf life.
- Choose the right container for storage. It must have ventilation. It is good to store berries in baskets made of wood or cardboard, in which there are holes. You can use a colander for this purpose.
Important! When stored in plastic containers, put a paper towel on the bottom to prevent accumulation of excess moisture in the container.
For long-term storage, fruits can be placed in the freezer. Thus, the beneficial properties in it are preserved for up to six months.
Strawberries in the diet of a nursing mother are acceptable, but you should carefully monitor the reaction of the child to it. Observing the rules for consuming these berries and taking reasonable precautions into account, you can enjoy them without harming the child's body.